Pancakes with fruit
Makes about 20 pancakes
180 g 1½ cups (375 ml) cake flour
80 g ½ cup (125 ml) wholewheat flour
8 g 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
pinch of ground nutmeg
150 g 3 eggs, beaten
36 g 3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower oil
15 g 1 tbsp (15 ml) white grape vinegar
3 cups (750 ml) water
8 g 2 tsp (10 ml) sunflower oil for frying
1. Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix all liquids together, except the oil for frying.
2. Gradually add liquid to the dry ingredients and beat well to form a smooth batter.
3. Heat some of the oil in a frying pan. Pour in just enough batter to form a thin pancake.
4. Fry until set on top, turn over and fry for another minute. Keep warm and continue with remaining batter and a thin layer of oil where necessary.
5. Serve with fresh fruit such as apples, naartjies or banana, or a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar and lemon juice.
1. Cinnamon sugar: Mix a pinch of ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 3 tbsp sugar.
2. The mince on p65, roasted veggies on p44 and Chicken a la king on p57 can all be enjoyed in the pancakes as a main course.
3. Crumpets: Substitute water for 2 cups buttermilk and use 2 eggs instead of three. Leave out the vinegar. Heat a thin layer of oil in a pan and spoon 2 tbsp of batter per crumpet in the pan. Fry on both sides and serve with fruit and low-fat yoghurt.
4. The oil in the batter means that less oil is needed for frying.