Makes 12 small scones
160 g 1 cup (250 ml) wholewheat flour
120 g 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
12 g 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
50 g 1 egg, beaten
250 g 1 cup (250 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
50 g ¼ cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Lightly grease a baking tray and dust with a little cake flour.
2. Mix flours and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Beat egg, yoghurt and oil together.
3. Stir egg mixture into the flour until it just forms a soft dough.
4. Gently press dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 2 cm thick. Take care not to handle the dough too much.
5. Cut out scones using a small cookie cutter or water glass. Dip the cutter or glass in extra flour if necessary.
6. Place scones on baking tray. The left-over dough can be pressed together and cut into more scones.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
7. Serve with a thin layer of margarine and jam.
1. A pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika can be sprinkled on top for a savoury scone.