1. Heat the oil in a large pot and fry chicken until brown. Spoon out.
2. In the same pot, fry onions, carrots, celery and baby marrows until brown.
3. Add chicken, tea, water, rosemary, bay leaves, barley and salt. Reduce the heat. Simmer with a lid for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
4. Spoon out the chicken. Cook the soup for 40-45 minutes or until the barely is soft.
5. Meanwhile, debone chicken and shred the meat. Add back to the soup once the barley is cooked. Season well with lemon juice and pepper.
6. Stir in the parsley and serve hot.
Serve this soup on its own and don’t be tempted to make bread part of this meal. The barley has enough carbs to make it healthy. Rather bulk up by adding more green veggies to the soup if preferred – broccoli or spinach would be delicious.TIP:
Avocado is also delicious served with this soup.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER PORTION:
Energy 2 086 kj
Protein 47,3 g
Carbohydrates 41,9 g
Salt 0,6 g