- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 250 g lean beef mince
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcester sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, grated
- 3 celery stalks with leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 cups (1 litre) Homemade stock (p XX) or water with 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 8 cups (2 litres) water
- ½ x 500 g packet dried soup mix
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) garam masala
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- Heat half the oil in a large pot and fry mince until golden brown. Spoon mince out and drain off any excess fat.
- Add rest of the oil and fry onion and garlic in the same pot with paprika, coriander and herbs.
- Add mince and Worcester sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except the garam masala, lemon juice and pepper. Stir well.
- Simmer, with a lid, over a low heat for about 2 hours or until the soup mix is cooked and the soup is thick. Stir every now and then.
- Add the remaining ingredients and serve warm.
Enjoy left-overs for lunch the next day, or freeze for another meal.
Stir in thinly shredded cabbage or spinach at the end of the cooking time.