1. Place potatoes with 1 cup (250 ml) water and the salt in a pot. Bring to the boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are just cooked. Take care that they don’t boil too fast, as the potatoes will burst open and absorb too much water.
3. Meanwhile, mix the oil, lemon juice and rind, mustard, herbs and black pepper together.
4. Drain potatoes and slice each potato in half. Place in a large mixing bowl and toss with the dressing. Allow potatoes to cool in the dressing – this will allow them to absorb more flavour.
5. Gently stir in peppers, top with the eggs (if using) and serve at room temperature.
1. Any fresh herbs are delicious in a potato salad. Try fresh thyme or a combination of the parsley, origanum and thyme.
2. Spicy version: add curry powder to taste to the dressing.