1. Heat half of the oil over a medium heat in a frying pan. Fry onion and garlic until almost soft. Add ginger, carrots and sweet potato and fry for another few minutes or until almost cooked.
2. Stir in liquid, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 10-15 minutes or until the veggies are completely soft.
3. Mash beans in a large mixing bowl with a fork until smooth. Stir in carrot mixture and the rest of the ingredients, except the remaining oil. Mix well and season to taste with more lemon juice and pepper, but take care not to add too much liquid.
4. Shape into 8-10 patties, using about ¼ cup (60 ml) of the mixture per patty.
5. Line a braai grid with a double layer of foil and lightly brush with remaining oil. Braai patties over medium to hot coals, without turning, for about 8-10 minutes so that they keep their shape. Turn over to brown on the other side. Continue to braai until golden brown and cooked (see tips).
6. Serve patties with any side dish of your choice. Or enjoy as burgers on wholewheat rolls with salad ingredients.
1. To prepare in a frying pan, heat remaining oil and pan-fry until golden brown and cooked.
2. Other beans that could be used are small white beans like haricot or cannellini, or butter beans.
3. Make small patties to serve as a snack with any of the dips on page 48 - 49 (Snack DPS) or the seasoned yoghurt on page 66 (Roasted cauliflower). Serve 2-3 per person.
4. The patties can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 30 minutes before frying or braaiing.