- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive or canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) red grape or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 4 tsp (20 ml) finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste (optional)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- ¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped unsalted peanuts
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups (500 ml) each shredded white and red cabbage (or more white)
- 1 large spinach leaf, shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- ¼ cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium pineapple, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk with the leaves, thinly sliced
- ½ red or green pepper, seeded, quartered and thinly sliced
1. Dressing: Stir all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. Salad: Mix all the slaw ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over and toss well. Allow salad to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving it. This will allow the salad to marinate.
3. Serve slaw as a side dish at a braai.
1. This dressing can be used as a marinade for fish, chicken, pork or veggies.
2. Add toasted coconut, to the dressing instead of the peanuts.
Serve with steak or leftover braaied chicken in wholewheat rolls or pitas.