1. Place lentils, rice, origanum, lemon rind and salt in a pot with 2½ cups (625 ml) cold water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 25-30 minutes or until cooked, but not too soft. Drain well (see tips).
3. Place broccoli in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for about 10-15 minutes or until just cooked, and drain well. Or simmer gently in a small amount of water until bright green, still crunchy and not overcooked.
4. Stir broccoli, peas, spinach and oil into the rice and lentils. Season with lemon juice and pepper. Stir herbs and sunflower seeds or nuts into rice mixture.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature as a vegetarian meal or starchy side.
1. To serve at room temperature, rinse cooked lentils and rice with cold water to keep it loose and fluffy, before adding the other ingredients.
2. Any leftover brown rice and lentils can be enjoyed as a light meal the next day. Or make it a non-vegetarian meal, by adding leftover cooked chicken or braaied meat.
3. Serve with 1 slice feta, crumbled or dollops of plain low-fat cottage cheese.